Followers

Sunday 8 October 2017

The Joy of Volunteering !


I have two different ways I volunteer, one for a counselling agency and one by being a trustee for a charity. This week my aunt sent me a lovely newspaper write up of her work as a justice of the peace and the chair of the local NHS trust, all volunteer work as well. It got me thinking how many great institutions we have in this country staffed by volunteers. I have done lots of volunteering in the past too and it got me thinking of all the benefits that it offers.

First of all, I meet people that I otherwise wouldn't see, they are not friends but we become close, bonded by a common cause.

It is good to feel that you are doing something for others and stops you dwelling on your own problems.

You have the chance to learn new skills and try out new roles to see if they are a good fit.

I couldn't think of any down sides, so why not give it a go ? Even an hour is often welcome to some local concerns, I really enjoy it !

No comments:

Post a Comment