Followers

Saturday 3 March 2018

Keeping Warm


Late last night saw me scurrying to the internet for advice as our gas central heating stopped working. It was a fault we normally know how to fix as it is to do with needing more water pressure in the system but last night we couldn't get any water into the system because the pipe had frozen. In the end MrShoestring went up into the garage loft and banged the pipe, it was just enough to dislodge some ice and a bit of water flowed into the system ! So it all started working again for long enough for us to go to bed in the warm !

It made me glad to know that we do have alternative ways of heating the house, including a wood burner and several electric heaters. However, it did make me think that maybe I should get a few more heaters as I don't think we have enough to keep the house warm if we had to wait several days for a heating engineer to come and fix things.

Whilst I was looking for information about what might be wrong with the central heating I was reminded that the boiler will be 10 years old in August and perhaps we should be thinking about replacing it soon. I researched wood pellet boilers and ground source heat pumps but they all seem more expensive to buy and run than a new gas central heating system. I don't think we need a new boiler just yet but if we plan ahead we can save up and find ways of lowering the cost, for instance by buying the boiler ourselves online and then just paying for fitting.

Hope you are all keeping warm !

No comments:

Post a Comment