Followers

Thursday 1 March 2018

The Reckoning


February was a short month and did not contain any big expenses for us, no annual payments, no unexpected outlay for parking or tree surgery so we managed to spend under £950 for the entire month, which is very little for us ! That meant that just over £500 could be deposited into savings for use in the coming months. That money is not all real savings as some of it is monthly contributions towards bigger annual bills which will fall due later in the year. Bills for the television license, which is going up and for car servicing and repair, so I have to be careful not to get too congratulatory as I know that the money is mostly earmarked for spending !

Still, I did resist the temptation of a jumble sale last week, but I suspect that was due more to how cold it was outside rather than an iron will to resist spending ! I was pleased that we managed to keep the grocery spending well below budget for the second month running. However, the grocery challenge cannot continue as it was,  MasterShoestring is getting hungry and begging for 'more meat'. He has even offered to cook a couple of meals and that is a sure sign that he thinks he has been getting 'slim pickings' recently !

I think the March challenge will centre around sticking to the meal plan I have made and not buying too many chocolate eggs for Easter ! We like to do Easter baskets and an Easter egg hunt, but now the children are not really children anymore I think that the chocolate amount can be cut back a bit and be replaced with a few homemade items !

How was your February ?

2 comments:

  1. I like the it that Feb is a short month with no Council tax or water bills!
    I can empathize with the teen thing. We cut right back in a lean period and he began to (very politely) ask for 'more'.I cut back on what I had, but luckily we're in a better position now, so he can have more meat etc.
    Thanks for the tip on the Tesco eggs. I was able to get them on offer and use a voucher we were sent too.
    Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Felicity ! We don't pay Council tax in March and April, so that is a big help. I laughed when I read that mine is not the only teen to ask for 'more' ! I've been cutting back on baking because MrShoestring is trying to lose some weight, but I think I'll have to start again as well as featuring more'meat' in the March menu.
    So glad that you got the eggs and were able to use a voucher as well !

    ReplyDelete