Followers

Tuesday 6 March 2018

Update on LED Bulbs


At the start of December I wrote a post about buying LED bulbs from Poundland, saying I thought that they might be my 'go-to' place for bulbs now.

Well, the bulb in MasterShoestring's bedroom failed last night and although we had a very dim replacement bulb to put in straight away it was a bit inconvenient. So the £1 bulb lasted just 4 months, which is very poor value for money compared with incandescent bulbs or fluorescent ones. It will have saved some money because of the low wattage, but considering these bulbs are supposed to last years I think that is not worth buying another one.

I found one in Tesco, the equivalent of 60W, which cost £4.50 and comes with a 1 year guarantee. Fingers crossed that this one lasts a big longer than the last one and if not, at least I can return it and get another one free of charge. the guarantee has been put away safely just in case !

Where would you recommend for LED bulbs ?


6 comments:

  1. I've bought bulbs from various places over the years and have found that none of them last longer than a year or two regardless of how much I pay for them. The 'old' incandescent bulbs would last decades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right ! Thanks for confirming a suspicion that was growing in my mind, that these expensive LED bulbs are not living up to their promise. So I have written down the date when we replaced this bulb and we'll see how long it lasts !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just asked my husband about our main use bulbs. One lamp has incandescent and has been going for several years. The other has LED and has been going for less time but still two years, give or take. He thinks we should change the incandescent to LED since it gets the most use. So, it looks like that will be my job when he goes out of town tomorrow. Not much help to you, though!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debbie, good to have an idea how long these things might reasonably last when used around the house. Two years sounds much better than 4 months !

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have bought some LED candle bulbs in Poundland, they were put in on the 31/01/2018 still ok at the moment, will be keeping an eye on them. Made a note in my household file of the date. Helen s.

    ReplyDelete